October is public interest month at America’s law schools! In October,
- the ABA holds its pro bono week
- NALP holds its PSJD Public Service Mini-Conference and
- Equal Justice Works’ Conference and Career Fair takes place.
As a result, law schools across the country have created programming highlighting jobs available in the public interest and government fields.
Public Interest month is a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with students after OCIs.
After OCI, career services offices often lose touch with students who:
- Can feel dejected about their job searches after receiving callback rejections;
- Are public-interest minded, but may believe that their Career Development office is not knowledgeable about or interested in these career paths.
This is an ideal opportunity for CDOs to address both of these concerns — and re-engage students who need new career options. Planning panel discussions and designing a professional- looking poster can help you launch an ‘official initiative’ that will let public-interest minded students know they are supported, by putting a spotlight on new opportunities they can pursue.